Born in the U.S.A.was the first compact disc manufactured in the U.S. for commercial release when CBS and Sony opened its CD manufacturing plant in Terre Haute, Indiana in September 1984. Before that, they were pressed in Japan.
Thirty five years ago today, June 4th, 1984,Bruce Springsteen released his seventh album ,Born in the U.S.A.. Here are some facts and figures:
- Recorded with The E Street Band, it became his biggest selling album -- 30-million copies, with 15-million in the U.S.
- Spent seven week at number-one on the Billboard 200, and remained on the chart for 143 weeks
- Yielded seven Top 10 singles, including the crossover hit, "Dancing in the Dark," the video of which introduced us to future Friends actress Courteney Cox. The other singles were "Cover Me," "I'm on Fire," "Glory Days," "I'm Goin' Down," "My Hometown" and the title track.
- Turned him from blue collar New Jersey rock star to worldwide celebrity
- And took him from playing arenas to stadiums around the world
Springsteen will release his next album -- his 19th studio effort --Western Stars, on June 14th.