A great year for The Zombies just got better.
The newly minted Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band's signature song, "Time of the Season," was named the Best Song of 1969 in aBillboardmagazine feature story.
Compiling smash hits, less successful songs and rarities, the magazine says, "It's an enduring, idiosyncratic classic that has come to be one of the defining songs of the era -- even if the world didn't catch on so quickly. By the time the song debuted on theHot 100in 1969, eventually peaking at number-three, the band had already broken up, frustrated by the initial indifference to a song and album now rightly regarded as artistic high points of the decade."
Rounding out this special Top 10:
- 2.Sly and the Family Stone- "Everyday People"
- 3.Crosby, Stills & Nash- "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"
- 4.The Rolling Stones- "Gimme Shelter"
- 5. Isaac Hayes- "Walk on By"
- 6. Creedence Clearwater Revival- "Fortunate Son"
- 7. Joni Mitchell- "Both Sides Now"
- 8. Tommy James and The Shondells- "Crimson and Clover"
- 9. Bobbie Gentry- "Fancy"
- 10. The Beatles-Abbey Road medley