While no one would question why Bruce Springsteen,The Beatlesor Chuck Berry are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, not all of the 221 acts in the Hall have such deep and compelling credentials.
With nominees for the Hall's Class of 2020 set to be revealed tomorrow (Tuesday),Cleveland.comput together a list of the 25 Worst Inductees-- and some arguably better choices.
Starting at the bottom -- or is it the top? --Ritchie Valens ranks 25th. With a pop career that lasted just a year, "his resume is light." On the other hand, "He was the pioneer of Chicano rock. And yes, 'La Bamba' was a huge hit." Guitarist Link Wray would have been the better option.
Here's the entire list (who's in / who should be in):
- Ritchie Valens / Link Wray
- Darlene Love / Mary Wells
- Dave Clark Five / Lonnie Donegan
- Cat Stevens / Nick Drake
- Small Faces - Faces / New York Dolls
- Donovan / Phil Ochs
- Paul Butterfield Blues Band / John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
- ELO / Jethro Tull
- Laura Nyro / Judy Collins
- Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers / Billy Ward and His Dominoes
- Little Anthony and the Imperials / Ben E. King
- Del Shannon / Chubby Checker
- Bobby Darin / Screamin' Jay Hawkins
- Chicago / Procol Harum
- Lovin' Spoonful / Shangri-Las
- Bon Jovi / Iron Maiden
- Journey / Duran Duran
- Gene Pitney / Harry Nilsson
- Moody Blues King Crimson
- Bill Withers / Lionel Richie and The Commodores
- Jeff Beck / Dick Dale
- The Dells / Teddy Pendergrass
- Joan Jett / The Runaways
- Percy Sledge / Joe Tex
- Stevie Nicks / Tina Turner
The Hall is so subjective: there has never been any agreement about what qualifies a candidate.