The Dolphin, a student-run site at Le Moyne College in Syracuse, New York, has published a list of one writer's favorite rock operas. While The Who is arguably the first band to come to mind with Tommy and Quadrophenia, he picked The Kinks' Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) as the best.
Top 10 Rock Operas:
- The Kinks - Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
- The Who - Quadrophenia
- David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
- Lou Reed - Berlin
- Pink Floyd - The Wall
- Husker Du - Zen Arcade
- The Who - Tommy
- Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner
- The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
- Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera
Who singer Roger Daltrey on the song that led Pete Townshend to write Tommy.